4 Warm Winter Smoothie Recipes
Notice that refreshingly cold smoothies don't have the same appeal during wintry weather? Give your smoothies a winter makeover by serving them hot and toasty. (It's not as strange as it sounds—promise!) These ice-free, warm smoothie recipes will warm you up after a chilly morning jog.
Oats and Chocolate Hot Smoothie
It only takes six simple ingredients to whip up an outrageous oats and chocolate smoothie. Safety tip: Don't fill your blender or smoothie maker with boiling liquid! The steam creates pressure that can cause the lid to blast off, literally. Add the hot ingredients at the end.
- 15g/0.5oz dark chocolate, chopped (check the brand for gluten free if required)
- 200ml/6.75floz almond milk
- 20g/0.7oz rolled oats (check the brand for gluten free if required)
- ½ a ripe, medium sized banana
- 6 almonds
- 5g/0.2oz chia seeds
- 20ml/0.7floz cold water
- Add the dark chocolate to a jug and pour in the almond milk. Microwave until the mixture is warm and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Add the oats, banana, almonds, chia seeds, the water and approx. a fifth of the almond milk to your smoothie maker or blender. Add in an extra splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm (see warning above about hot liquids and smoothie makers).
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and chia seeds have been completely incorporated.
- Whilst it's blending, further heat the rest of the almond/chocolate mix until hot, but not boiling.
- Pour the blended oat mix into your cup, stir in the almond/chocolate mix and serve.
Warm Apple Pie Smoothie
This warm smoothie has all the taste of an old-fashioned, homemade apple pie—minus the hassle of baking. Plus, at 124 calories and 0 grams of fat per serving, you can slurp with a clear conscience.
- 1 apple, cored and cut into chunks (peeled if you don’t have a high-powered blender)
- ½ cup / 120 ml water (for a creamier smoothie you can use yogurt)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or raw organic honey)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of allspice
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Combine apple, water, vanilla, maple syrup and spices in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a mug and microwave on high for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, and if you’re feeling particularly daring, add a bit of whipped cream on top. Serve!
Wintry Warm Banana Smoothie
The tryptophan and vitamin B6 in bananas helps to boost your body's production of serotonin, which can improve your mood and increase feelings of satisfaction and relaxation.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 peeled ripe banana
- ¼ cup chopped raw walnuts
- 2 or 3 pitted organic dates
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional Anti-Inflammatory Addition: 1/4 inch knob of fresh ginger
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) and process until smooth and creamy. Serve warm.
Apple Cider Smoothie
Need a healthy way to detox? This warm cider smoothie packs a ton of fiber, iron, and antioxidants - thanks to ingredients like fresh apples and spinach.
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cup water
- 3 green apples, roughly diced
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1-inch ginger, peeled
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 scoops protein powder *optional
- Supplements – Vitamin C Powder, MSM, Fish Oil, Maca - optional
- Juice 1/2 a lemon and pour the juice into a high-powered blender or food processor.
- Add the water, apples, spinach, ginger, cinnamon and protein powder and blend until very smooth.
- You can enjoy at this apple cider smoothie at room temperature or cool it down by blending in ice cubes. To enjoy it hot, either heat it by running the Vitamix for 5 minutes or warm it in a pot on the stove.
- Finally, whisk or blend in the supplements and enjoy.